The job search process now involves sorting through online job board sites, researching different workplaces, identifying the career you want, submitting application forms, sending in your résumé, following up, following up again… It can feel overwhelming and never-ending!
So how can you make your résumé and cover letter stand out from the hundreds of other nurses applying for the same position? And once you hear back from the recruiter to move forward with an interview, how can you best prepare to ace the interview?
Today’s episode is a little different in that I was interviewed by America’s favorite nurse, Nurse Alice on Nurse.org’s podcast, Ask Nurse Alice. (If you haven’t already, I highly recommend you give this podcast a listen.)
In this episode, Nurse Alice asks Amanda all about job searching! We covered:
- Why it’s so hard to land your first job after nursing school and what to do about it!
- The important differences between a résumé and a CV, why it matters, and which document you should use.
- Answering the most common résumé-related questions like,
What special “gems” should I put on my résumé?
How should I list my past work experience?
What can I put in my professional summary to really stand out?
- How to answer the question, “Tell me about a time when you made a mistake…”
- How to use the STAR framework to answer almost any interview question (without babbling on or forgetting what to say)
- Advice for how to handle rejection like a pro!
- And more…
LINKS & RESOURCES MENTIONED TODAY:
- Listen to Ask Nurse Alice by Nurse.org
- The [free] NP Salary Report is Live! Submit your anonymous report and access the database at theresumerx.com/salary
- If you enjoyed this episode and would like to support me in being able to create new & valuable content for The Nurse Becoming Podcast, buy me a coffee here ☕️ 😊
Grab my FREE interview guide and I’ll walk you through the 7 most common questions you’ll encounter in an interview plus give you a list of some uncommon ones that might take you by surprise.
Listen to more episodes here!