With nearly 10 million LGBTQ+ people in the United States alone – improving healthcare for LGBTQ+ patients is needed more than ever.
But did you know… Did you know…. that in the average nursing education that there is fewer than 3 hours of education about LGBTQ+ Patient-Centered Care?
Stigma and discrimination based on orientation is never ok. And whether we realize it or not, those that identify as LGBTQ+ are our patients. So it is our duty to make sure that the healthcare system and the environment (and frankly- the entire world) is a safe place for everyone to be cared for.
Which is why I am so pleased to introduce Shannon Whittington on the podcast today to educate us on inclusion strategies in healthcare and advancing LGBTQ+ patient-centered care.
Shannon is a nurse, an award-winning health expert, and a best selling author on a mission to empower organizations to be more LGBTQ+ inclusive.
In this conversation, Shannon Whittington and I discussed:
- Shannon’s nursing journey and how she emerged in this field as an expert
- How to be an ally for the LGTBQ+ community
- Why we need to pay particular attention to centering the LGBTQ+ community in healthcare
- Inclusive healthcare vernacular and the importance of gender-neutral language
- Best tips for providing inclusive care & what that looks like
- Where to go to learn more and find additional training in this topic
It is up to us to change how healthcare is delivered so that everyone feels safe and included.
I hope that you will be open to receiving this conversation and that you will listen with an open heart. 💜
LINKS & RESOURCES MENTIONED TODAY:
- Connect with Shannon on LinkedIn
- Shannon’s Website — Learn more about Shannon’s consulting services and her new book, coming soon!
Interested in learning more about my most popular offer: The Nurse Résumé Template Bundle? You’ll get 6 beautifully designed résumé and cover letter templates (suitable for both the experienced and new grad nurse or NP!) for just $37 – check it out here!
Listen to more episodes here!