One of the roads that I and many others have traveled that can’t be avoided is this the road of getting medical malpractice insurance. Our professional livelihood depends on it!
Not to interject any scare tactics or fear here, but the reality is that unforeseeable compilations arise. You don’t have control over who your patients are sometimes.
These factors cross most NP’s minds, and thus I get a lot of questions about medical malpractice insurance.
Who needs it? What does it cover? And how can I get covered without breaking the bank or spending loads of time researching and sifting through all the complexities of insurance?
On today’s podcast, I’m joined by Evelyn Bavier, product development and portfolio director at Berxi, to answer these questions and to redefine the scary stigma that malpractice insurance tends to carry.
Evelyn has more than 15 years of experience in the insurance industry, in both legal and product development roles, with a specialty in professional liability insurance across a wide range of industries. She currently lives in the Greater Boston area and her pandemic hobbies have included baking something new every week and rearranging her furniture. Evelyn has a law degree from Georgetown University and a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Pennsylvania.
For context, Berxi is the small commercial insurance division of Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company (note: I’m an affiliate partner of Berxi). I chose Berxi because they focus on the needs of nurses (not all insurance companies do!) and they are direct to consumers – meaning there’s no middle person involved.
In today’s episode, we discuss:
- Defining: What really is medical malpractice insurance?
- How even the most careful NP’s get sued and Evelyn’s stance against fighting the stigma against being sued
- How does private insurance differ, what is supplemental coverage, what value should you be looking for and why even get it?
- What happens if you need to submit a claim after leaving your place of employment
- NPs who have taken on RN roles because of the pandemic – Evelyn’s perspective from a malpractice point of view and her recommendations
- What determines your premium (Does your primary practice state play into the scope of your license?)
- What you can expect to pay yearly for an insurance premium
- When to change or update your policy
- What 1099 NPs need to know to stay covered
- And for NP students needing student-friendly coverage during their clinical rotations, Evelyn highlights how Berxi can help!
LINKS & RESOURCES MENTIONED TODAY:
- Berxi is an insurance company that really focuses on the needs of nurses and they’re working to make getting malpractice insurance easier and more affordable – you can get a free quote by heading to berxi.com/theresumerx
Listen to more episodes here!